Cadillac Stamping Plant
9501 Conner
Detroit, MI

History

  • Connector.

    1840

    The water way that ran from what is now the city of Warren to the Detorit River is offically named Conner’s Creek in honnor of the local land owner Henry Connor. Over the next one hundred years, the landscape would change from natural forests to ribbon farms and then to industrial manufacturing.

  • Connector.

    1926

    The Hudson Motor Car Co. builds a new facility to manufacture steel bodies for their Essex line of vehicles. The original cost of construction was $10million which would produce 1,500 units per day.

  • Connector.

    1929

    Shipping over 300,000 cars, the Hudson Motor Co. ranked 3rd in the industry behind Ford and Chevrolet.

  • Connector.

    1930's

    During the war effort, the plant was used to supply airplane wings for the Curtiss-Wright Helldiver division

  • Connector.

    1956

    The plant was sold to General Motors and used for the Cadillac Stamping Plant. Several alterations in the following years were made including the demolition of the bailer building, the installation of a underpin column, renovation of bathrooms, and additions to various buildings throughout the plant.

  • Connector.

    1989

    The plant is shut down by General Motors once the Hamtramck Assembly Plant was finished

Sources:
Detroit’s Eastside Communtiy Collaborative Conner Creek Greenway
Storied Independent Automakers: Nash, Hudson, and American Motors, Charles K. Hyde
City of Detroit Buildings and safetly Department