Located at the corner of Woodward and East Grand Boulevard, this building is considered to be one of the two oldest in Detroit’s New Center Commercial Historic District.
In an attempt to partake in the City Beautification Movement that was sweeping the nation, citizens of Detroit express their desires to have a boulevard that would encircle the city and mimic those roadways found in Paris.
Detroit’s Mayor Hazen Pingree breaks ground on the construction of a twelve mile stretch of road would be known as the Grand Boulevard.
At the turn of the century, the surrounding community was thriving with commercial traffic due to the northern expansion of the street rail and the opening of the Grand Boulevard.
This three-story mixed use commercial building dates back to 1896 when it was being used as a Drug store, milliner, and grocery store.
The building’s exterior had been modified to fit the changing trends in architecture.
Additional facade alterations which included a terracotta front and steel marquee.
Four interior dressing rooms were added.
After sitting vacant for several years, the building is being redeveloped as mixed use space for both commercial and residential units.
National Park Service, New Center Commercial District, National Register Nomination
City of Detroit, Building and Safety Department, Building Permits
Burton Historical Collection, City Directories 1920-1974