Woodward Avenue derives its name from Chief Justice Augustus Woodward who was appointed to the Michigan territory in 1805.
Beginning in the 1850s, the construction of railroads north of the downtown area which was primarily farm land, helped connect Detroit with the surrounding communities.
In an attempt to partake in the City Beautification Movement that was sweeping the nation, citizens of Detroit expressed their desire to have a boulevard that would encircle the city and mimic roadways found in Paris.
In 1891 Detroit Mayor Hazen Pingree breaks ground on the construction of a twelve mile stretch of road that would be known as the Grand Boulevard.
With the construction underway on Grand Boulevard, the intersection of Woodward Avenue and newly constructed rail lines, this area began to thrive as a viable commercial district.
In 1914, The City of Detroit issued a building permit for the two-story building that is situated at the corner of Woodward and East Baltimore
Since constructed, the commercial building has had a wide variety of businesses operating out of the three different address associated with it including a bowling alley and billiards hall as well as a variety of restaurants.
The building is listed as originally being occupied by a saloon, restaurant and the offices of Bean & Deville Plumbing
By 1917, the restaurant was replaced by the More Brothers Billiards Hall which would remain in business well into the 1930s
The two-story building which has storefronts on both Woodward Avenue and Baltimore Street, has seen several cosmetic changes beginning in 1927
In 1930, the commercial building was briefly home to the Jos Papazian Shoe Store
By 1938, the pool hall had been converted into a bowling alley and owned by Nathan Sheley
For nearly twenty years, the Wolverine Chophouse operated out of the building beginning in 1940 through 1963
One of the last know businesses to be run out of the building at 6400 Woodward was a Caribbean themed restaurant which is seen by the bright pastel colors painted on its exterior
After sitting vacant for several years, the building is being redeveloped into a mixed use residential and retail space which will be named Baltimore Station 1. The renovations are scheduled to be completed in the summer of 2018