3669 Chatsworth
Detroit, MI


  • The house once found at 3669 Chatsworth was located on Detroit’s East Side near Mack and Outer Drive in Morningside neighborhood.

  • This area was originally settled by the French in the 1700s and would become part of the ribbon farms seen along the Detroit River.

  • The land that would eventually make up the Morning Side neighborhood was owned by several individuals including the Trombly, Brown, Turner, and Martin families.

  • Prior to the early 19th Century, these farms were a part of the Township of Grosse Pointe until the City of Detroit annexed the surrounding land in 1917

  • Before the development of the Morningside neighborhood, the land was utilized by the Michigan National Guard as the Arthur J. Scully Rifle Range for the Michigan National Guard from around 1917 up until the 1920s

  • In the early 1920s the vast farm land began to be developed into middle class housing forDetroit's working class.

  • In 1935 the Alger Theater opened at the corner of Warren and East Outer Drive. At the time there were 100s of similar neighborhood theaters throughout the city. Today, it is the one of two that remain.

  • 1940 the City of Detroit has a population of just over 1.6 million


  • 1924

    A permit for the construction of a free standing garage is approved.

  • 1925

    Menzel Graveline is the first individual associated with this property. He is listed as being a plumber by profession

  • 1935

    William Benedict a machinist , takes ownership of the home. He and his wife Rose live in this house for over forty years

  • 1964

    William passes away but his wife Rose continues to live in the home through the 1970s

  • 2016

    The home which was purchased by neighbors unfortunately goes into foreclosure and is deconstructed the following year.

  • 2017

    The home was purchased by neighbors who maintained the property for seven years before it was deconstructed


City of Detroit, Alger Theater National Register Nomination

City of Detroit, Building and Safety Department, Building Permits

Burton Historical Collection, City Directories 1920-1974

Interview with Lucas C. McGrail, former neighbor on 10-23-17

Photo Credit- Loveland Technologies