Detroit Fire Department
250 W Larned
Located in the heart of Downtown Detroit, the five-story Neoclassical building found at 250 W Larned was once the headquarters of The Detroit Fire Department. The building was originally built in 1929 and designed by well-known architect Hans Gehrke who had been commissioned to design fourteen other massive fire stations throughout the city.
The DFD headquarters building serviced the surrounding Financial District and provided a base for firefighting units such as Water Tower#1, High Pressure #1, Engine #1, and Ladder #1 .
Known as one of Michigan’s oldest fire departments, the site that this building is situated on had been occupied by the DFD dating back to the 1840s. In recent years, both the Fire and Police departments consolidated operations to one Public Safety Headquarters which opened in 2013.
The DFD headquarters building sat unoccupied for nearly a year until a Chicago-based boutique hotel group released plans to convert the historic building to an upscale hotel to open in 2017.
Much of the original wood found within the DFD Headquarters building was consciously deconstructed including thousands of board feet of maple flooring which has now been creatively repurposed into one- of-a-kind pieces by The End Grain Woodworking Co.
 Eric J. Hill, John Gallagher, AIA Detroit: The American Institute of Architects Guide to Detroit Architecture. Wayne State University Press, 2003
 The National Register of Historic Places, Detroit Financial District Historic District Nomination. October 30, 2009
 Louis Aguilar, The Detroit News, “Former Detroit Firehouse may open as hotel in ’17” . March 14, 2016