The Briggs Manufacturing Company establishes an automobile plant in Hamtramck. Seven years later it would move to the Joseph Campau Avenue site as demand grew. During the First World War, much of this plant’s operations helped sustain the war effort.
Lot 5 in the Moran & Croul’s Subdivision of the N Ely 50 acres of ¼ Sec 22 was developed by prominent businessmen Fred T Morgan, president of the Peninsular Stove Co. and Frank H Croul, president of the Detroit Oak Belting Co.
The Dodge Brothers split as a supplier to Henry Ford and began production of their own vehicles at the newly integrated Hamtramck Plant. The plant which was originally designed by Albert Kahn, covered 75 acres and employed 15,000 men and women who lived in Hamtramck
The residential wooden framed structure that was located at 2328 Carpenter Ave was built by the Detroit based Haw Construction Company. This structure sat upon a concrete block foundation and it had hardwood floors throughout. There were a total of 11 rooms and three baths. The Interior walls were plastered and accented in pine trim. The exterior of this structure was originally finished with clapboard siding, but forty years later aluminum siding was installed over it. Composite shingles were used on its hipped roof system
Within a seven year span the number of vacant lots in the City of Hamtramck rapidly filled up as homes were being built around the property located at 2328 Carpenter Ave.
The house suffered significant water damage to the kitchen as a result of a neighboring house fire.
In an effort to alleviate blight and to revitalize neighborhoods, The City of Hamtramck partnered with WARM Training Center and Detroit GreenWorks Solutions to pilot an alternative program to demolition. During its deconstruction the diary of a young woman who lived there in the 1960s was discovered. In this artifact are the descriptions of her life which illustrated the unique time in the history of Detroit and Hamtramck.
The Carpenter House lives on as thousands of board feet of beautiful heart pine are put to use once again. The Diary that was uncovered during its deconstruction was reunited with its rightful owner at the Detroit Re-Nailed Reclaimed Material Competition. Pieces made from this house have found their way across the country as far away as Utah. We are pleased to share this story of the house that built our business.
Property is sold to Antoni and Helena Brodacki
William Shea, a steamfitter resides at this house
Dominick Zubas, who was laborer lives briefly in the home
John Murkiwcz, a carpenter by trade makes a this house his home
Arthur Hans, described as a grinder by trade lives here
Michael Dulchavsky, autoworker and his wife Pauline call this their home
Michael Jankowski, machinist and his wife Wanda live here
Edward Tomaszewski resides in this home on Carpenter Ave
Raymond Yahner and his wife Anita calls this house their home
Catherine Barber lives in the home and raises her children and grandchildren. The Barber family sustains the longest period of any occupancy.
The house was sold to its last know occupant
City of Hamtramck retains ownership of the property
The house at 2328 Carpenter was deconstructed and its materials repurposed
City of Detroit Buildings and Safety Department
City of Detroit, Assessment Division, (Detroit, MI)
Detroit, MI, City Directories, 1890-1960, (Detroit, MI; The Burton Historical Collection)
The City of Detroit, Michigan, 1701-1922, Volume 1 By Clarence Monroe Burton, William Stocking, Gordon K. Miller
Wayne County, Treasurer’s Office, (Detroit, MI)