1927 Michigan Avenue
Located in one of Detroit's oldest neighborhoods, the three-story industrial building found at 1927 Michigan avenue was originally built in 1907 and was home to the Detroit Alaska-Knitting Mills.
The surrounding Corktown neighborhood is made up of a variety of both residential and commercial buildings which had attracted working class immigrant population in the late 19th and early 20th centuries with its pull of affordable housing and walkable community.
The name Corktown, is derived from the large population of Irish immigrants who had settled in this part of the city, the majority of them being from Cork County, Ireland. Though the neighborhood is much more diverse today, strong ties to its Irish heritage are still present.
While the building at 1927 Michigan Ave. is located just outside the official boundaries of the Historic District, this former garment factory impacted the surrounding community by providing several jobs for the residents of Corktown.
As baseball began to gain popularity during the early 19th century, the historic Navin Field (later known as Tiger Stadium), was being built just three blocks east of the building at 1927 Michigan Ave.
The ball park that the Detroit Tigers would call home for 87 years was designed by the same architectural firm that worked on Fenway Park in Boston and Yankee Stadium in New York. It officially opened to the public in the spring of 1912, just five years after the Detroit-Alaska Knitting Mills building was completed.
Once Major League Baseball left the corner of Michigan and Trumbull in 1999, much of the surrounding Corktown neighborhood began to feel the negative impacts from the loss of baseball revenue.
After 111 years, the building at 1927 Michigan Avenue has been given new life through an adaptive reuse plan from Buhl Motor Sports, Brother's Tuning Detroit and, The Ford Motor Company.
The Detroit-Alaska Knitting Mills building and the adjoining factory building at 1907 Michigan Ave are now collectively known as "The Factory at Corktown." Serving as mixed used development, these two buildings are now the hub for autonomous vehicle development at Ford Motor Company.