1506 Ferry park
The City of Detroit annexes land increasing the city limit's north
As a part of the nationwide City Beautification Movement sweeping the country, citizens ofDetroit express their desires to have a grand boulevard that would encircle the city and mimicroadways found in Paris
Detroit’s Mayor Hazen Pingree breaks ground on the construction of a twelve mile stretch ofroad to become known as the Grand Boulevard.
The Warren Motor Car Co. building is constructed at 1331 Holden Avenue. While the originalowner Homer Warren was not able to profit from his 30 hp 4 cyl roadsters, a later owner by thename of Henry Leyland who had been influential in the Cadillac Motor Co is rumored to havebuilt the Lincoln Motor Co in this same building.
Just blocks away from the Warren Motor Co, the neighborhood surrounding the property at 1506Ferry Park is being developed for residential housing
Henry Ford opens a 48 patient hospital staffed with doctors from Johns Hopkins. The hospitalbearing his name was located on the edge of the city limits at Hamilton and West GrandBoulevard directly north of the newly constructed house at 1506 Ferry Park.
William Durant decides to construct a fifteen-story building to house the General MotorsCompany in the New Center area on West Grand Boulevard, between Cass and Second. Thebuilding was originally named after Durant but was later changed to the General Motors Building.It had served as the company's World Headquarters until 2001 when it moved the last of itsemployees to the Renaissance Center in downtown Detroit.
The Fisher Brothers commission world renowned architect Albert Kahn to design a 30 storyskyscraper to be located adjacent to the General Motors Building. The location of was chosendue in part to their vested interests in General Motors Company after having just sold them theFisher Body Company.
The first leg of the John C Lodge Freeway was constructed and the nearby I-94 connection was the firstfreeway-to- freeway interchange in the United States. The official dedication for this major highway tookplace on November 7, 1957.
Approximately ½ mile away from the 1506 Ferry Park home , Berry Gordy purchases the property whichwill become known as Motown's Hitsville USA.
The 1st known occupant to live in the house is E. Williams
Edward Menefee then lived in the home for three years
Richard Wade purchased the property. The Wade family would remain in the housethrough the 1970s with Mrs. Anna Wade listed as the primary resident
Beatrice Wade is listed as the primary resident associated with this property
Allen and Bessie Birt own the house
Melvin Meyers and Paula Lee purchase the home from the Birt's
After being sold to three different owners, the property goes into Tax Foreclosure
The deconstructed wood from the house once found at 1506 Ferry Park has beencreatively repurposed by The End Grain Woodworking Co.
City of Detroit Buildings and Safety Department
City of Detroit, Assessment Division, (Detroit, MI)
Detroit, MI, City Directories, 1890-1960, (Detroit, MI; The Burton Historical Collection)
The City of Detroit, Michigan, 1701-1922, Volume 1 By Clarence Monroe Burton, William
Stocking, Gordon K. Miller
Wayne County, Treasurer’s Office, (Detroit, MI)