100 W. Willis
Helen Newberry Hall
The progressive era which was from the 1890s -1920, brought upon many social changes both politically and socially in the United States. Reforms were made on issues including voting rights for women, prohibition, the creation of the FDA, and improvements in healthcare. Nursing was becoming a popular career choice for many young women, but there was concern over their safety of living in large cities on their own. The Helen Newberry Nurses Residence Hall was originally built to fulfill the rising demands for advancements in medicine and to serve the nursing community. This building would not only act as a place for the Grace Hospital nursing student to live, but it also provided them with additional resources for their career such as a medical library and clinical rooms. The first occupants of this building were pioneers of the nursing profession.
John Stoughton Newberry graduated from the University of Michigan and began work as a civil engineer. He would later leave this position and pursue a law degree.
John Stoughton Newberry along with others established the Michigan Car Company which built freight cars for the railroad.
John Stoughton Newberry partners with James McMillian to establish vertically integrated businesses to supply their railroad venture
James McMillen donated $100,000 to construct Grace Hospital which was named after his late daughter. John Stoughton Newberry donated $50,000 to go towards the operating costs of Grace Hospital.
Grace Hospital was built (raised 1970) directly across the street from the future site of the Helen Newberry Hall
The Detroit Medical Center uses the building for office space
Fire damaged much of the north end of the first floor
The Helen Newberry Hall is listed on the National Register of Historic Places
The building was renovated and energy efficient updates were installed The building now serves as 28 unit apartment building
Michigan Historic Preservation Network awards Zachary and Associates the Building Award for their work on this project
City of Detroit Buildings and Safety Department
City of Detroit, Assessment Division, (Detroit, MI)
Detroit, MI, City Directories, 1890-1960, (Detroit, MI; The Burton Historical Collection)
The City of Detroit, Michigan, 1701-1922, Volume 1 By Clarence Monroe Burton, William Stocking, Gordon K. Miller
Wayne County, Treasurer’s Office, (Detroit, MI)